Skip to main content

7 wines that are the perfect last minute gift (and won't dent your wallet)

Time is running out and the last thing you want to do is actually think about what you should get for that office co-worker that just got you a fruit basket. Now you have to get him something because you weren't planning on him actually getting you something. The Holiday rules are very complicated. So, you can join The-March-Of-The-Totally-Stumped to Hickory Farms or you can throw one of these wines in a nice gift bag and show up with some style.

I went to Super Sommelier Courtney Cochran and gave her a mission: Give me a list of wines that are actually widely available, are inexpensive, but won't make you look like a cheapskate if you give someone one or show up at a party with it. She came back with a great list. Read on True Believer:

Dr. Loosen Dr. L Riesling, Germany - $11.99
A quality Riesling that is more on the sweet side and great for spicy foods.

Goats Do Roam White, South Africa - $10.00
Fruity fun that gives you tastes of peach, apricot, and honey

SoloRosa Rose, California - $11.98
50% Sangiovese, 50%Merlot, 100% yummy. If you haven't jumped on the Rose bandwagon yet, now's your time! Impress your friends because you know what's old is new again.

Marques de Caceres Rosado, Rioja, Spain - $7.00
Cherries and plums and great with light grilled food. Did I mention it was 7 bucks?

Prosperity Red Cabernet Sauvignon, California - $7.00
That's right, the Cab you've been wanting for under 10 dollars. What's that flavor you can't quite put your finger on there, lingering among the cherries? Mint!

Layer Cake Shiraz, Barossa Valley, Australia - $15.00
There are a few different vineyards that fall under the Layer Cake domain, but all of them are good. Why is it "Layer Cake?" Because it's full of nice layers of flavors, just like a good layer cake.

And for New Year's Eve!
Pommery "Pop" Extra Dry Champagne (split), France - $10.00
Dry, a bit of sweetness, and a smaller bottle for the intimate gatherings.

Hey, don't say we never gave you 'nuthin. All Hail the Groove!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Some thanks and virtual bartender

As of last week we averaged over 1,000 users per day. That's pretty damned cool. I'm surprised to see it myself considering how poor we rank on Technorati, but Performancing.com doesn't lie! In case you live under a rock, the Virtual Bartender are girls that do as you command, just like any good bartender does. They each have a huge list of commands and the most recent version has two girls. The shot pictured is them doing Star Wars. But they make out, shake ass, and many other things (no nudity, but plenty of cheesecake). They seem to do a lot of stuff except being able to make a martini. Brilliant. Virtual Bartender - [beer.com] Tags: bartender , beer , thanks

Bluecoat Gin Review

The bottle of Bluecoat Gin arrived the other day and I ripped in to it with vigor. My newfound love for Gin has become boundless and when I get a new one I put it ahead of the line of all the other stuff that I still need to try and review. I was like a kid on Christmas Day, however I was heavily medicated and had to patiently bide my time until I was no longer popping pills in order to try it out lest my liver implode leaving a dark, black hole in my innards of Mickey Mantle proportions. How's it look? The bottle comes pretty much as advertised. It's a simple blue bottle with Bluecoat on it and a coat of arms. The cap is an easy-to-pull cork that did not make me do any sort of contortion in order to get it open. Thank you Bluecoat Gin! What's it smell like? One word: OhMyGod. This is far and away the best smelling gin I have ever put my nostrils to. The juniper and floral notes were amazing and did not take any time to get used to. Most gins require two whiffs: One...

Electric Martini Maker

Martini's are such a difficult concept that Waring thought they would make it easier on all of us. Okay, so I know that the reason for having this is for Coolness Value and not for the idea that you actually need a machine to mix your martini's. The Waring Pro Electric Martini Maker can take your concoction and do the tedious work of mixing it by either stirring or shaking, depending on which button you press. Remember kids, stir gin, shake vodka. The on light even has a green olive on it. But what if I want a twist? Waring Pro WM007 Professional Electric Martini Maker - US$99.99 via Treehugger (Who says you need to buy carbon credits for owning this one)