Skip to main content

Review: Pama Liqueur

The last few weeks have been a plethora of trying liqueurs and Absinthe. Oh Lord, so much Absinthe.

The bottle of Pama is very pretty and tall and has a pomegranate tree on it. It seems to say "You can drink me on the rocks or mixed in to your favorite drink" just by its very look. It also says that with text right on the bottle.

The taste
This is where it falls apart. To wit:

Pama vs. Cough Syrup
I tried Pama first just on the rocks. It reminded me of cherry flavored cough syrup, which tastes nothing like cherries, but tastes like cherry flavored stuff. Pama doesn't even taste like pomegranate flavored cough syrup, but some sort of imitation cherry flavored cough syrup.

As you might be able to tell. I didn't like the stuff very much.

I went in search of a bar that was serving the stuff. I found a few that used to serve it, but had to stop because they felt pretty much the same way about it that I did.

I finally found a bar that was not only serving the stuff, but actually had a very popular drink that they made with it. The drink was actually very good, it consisted of this:
Pear Pama-tini
Absolut Pear Vodka
Pama Liqueur
Lime Juice
Combine ingredients with ice in a shaker, shake well, pour in to a martini glass and garnish with a lime.
As I drank it, I got the delicious hint of pear and lime, with a subtle hint of cherry-flavored cough syrup. But mostly pear.

So, basically, Pama Liqueur is good if you cover it up with some other strong flavored alcohol such as Absolut Pear or say...gasoline.

I often give away the stuff that is sent to me for review as I just can't drink it all and it just ends up making me look like a complete lush if I just let it sit around. However, I'll be keeping the Pama for my next cold.

Pama Liqueur

Comments

Anonymous said…
kinda feel the same way as you.
I was disapointed cause at the MGM grand in vegas, Rouge bar made an amazing drink with it called the Rouge.

"The signature Rouge Cocktail is served over house-made pomegranate ice cubes"

Bartender said they used PAMA, but now i know the tart and sweet tastes mostly came from the ice cubes which seemed to be crushes and frozen pomegranite seeds (without the pulp).

I am actually drinking absinthe now, my own absinthe drink:
http://wormwoodsociety.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=3003

Popular posts from this blog

Some thanks and virtual bartender

As of last week we averaged over 1,000 users per day. That's pretty damned cool. I'm surprised to see it myself considering how poor we rank on Technorati, but Performancing.com doesn't lie! In case you live under a rock, the Virtual Bartender are girls that do as you command, just like any good bartender does. They each have a huge list of commands and the most recent version has two girls. The shot pictured is them doing Star Wars. But they make out, shake ass, and many other things (no nudity, but plenty of cheesecake). They seem to do a lot of stuff except being able to make a martini. Brilliant. Virtual Bartender - [beer.com] Tags: bartender , beer , thanks

Bluecoat Gin Review

The bottle of Bluecoat Gin arrived the other day and I ripped in to it with vigor. My newfound love for Gin has become boundless and when I get a new one I put it ahead of the line of all the other stuff that I still need to try and review. I was like a kid on Christmas Day, however I was heavily medicated and had to patiently bide my time until I was no longer popping pills in order to try it out lest my liver implode leaving a dark, black hole in my innards of Mickey Mantle proportions. How's it look? The bottle comes pretty much as advertised. It's a simple blue bottle with Bluecoat on it and a coat of arms. The cap is an easy-to-pull cork that did not make me do any sort of contortion in order to get it open. Thank you Bluecoat Gin! What's it smell like? One word: OhMyGod. This is far and away the best smelling gin I have ever put my nostrils to. The juniper and floral notes were amazing and did not take any time to get used to. Most gins require two whiffs: One...

Electric Martini Maker

Martini's are such a difficult concept that Waring thought they would make it easier on all of us. Okay, so I know that the reason for having this is for Coolness Value and not for the idea that you actually need a machine to mix your martini's. The Waring Pro Electric Martini Maker can take your concoction and do the tedious work of mixing it by either stirring or shaking, depending on which button you press. Remember kids, stir gin, shake vodka. The on light even has a green olive on it. But what if I want a twist? Waring Pro WM007 Professional Electric Martini Maker - US$99.99 via Treehugger (Who says you need to buy carbon credits for owning this one)