Skip to main content

Review: Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon

This bottle of Jim Beam's Red Stag Black Cherry Bourbon has been sitting around the house for a few weeks.  Matt Lauer's recent accident on his bike with a deer prompted me to drag it out and see how it went down.

The bottle looks like the standard Jim Beam type bottle but with a pair of deer antlers on it.  I imagine the first concept was to have the full deer on it but the rednecks in test groups wanted to shoot at it, so they removed the rest of the deer.

I'm a pretty big bourbon lover which means I was pretty ready to take a sip and then pour it down the drain.  I tried my first taste and felt a bit of the burn but was then pretty pleased with the cherry notes that weren't too heavy.  However,  my first few tastes felt a bit syrupy but I got used to it fairly quickly.  A few sips later I was thoroughly enjoying it and ready for another glass.

If you're looking to have a bourbon and coke this would definitely be a good choice. For something different, put it in a shaker with some ice, add a little Tia Maria and some Orange Bitters then serve it in a martini glass with an orange peel garnish and you'll have yourself a fine version of the Manhattan that is sure to please.

Red Stag's 80 proof Bourbon will be available to everyone this June so look for it just about everywhere.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Jealous panda...want to try.

Popular posts from this blog

Some thanks and virtual bartender

As of last week we averaged over 1,000 users per day. That's pretty damned cool. I'm surprised to see it myself considering how poor we rank on Technorati, but Performancing.com doesn't lie! In case you live under a rock, the Virtual Bartender are girls that do as you command, just like any good bartender does. They each have a huge list of commands and the most recent version has two girls. The shot pictured is them doing Star Wars. But they make out, shake ass, and many other things (no nudity, but plenty of cheesecake). They seem to do a lot of stuff except being able to make a martini. Brilliant. Virtual Bartender - [beer.com] Tags: bartender , beer , thanks

Bluecoat Gin Review

The bottle of Bluecoat Gin arrived the other day and I ripped in to it with vigor. My newfound love for Gin has become boundless and when I get a new one I put it ahead of the line of all the other stuff that I still need to try and review. I was like a kid on Christmas Day, however I was heavily medicated and had to patiently bide my time until I was no longer popping pills in order to try it out lest my liver implode leaving a dark, black hole in my innards of Mickey Mantle proportions. How's it look? The bottle comes pretty much as advertised. It's a simple blue bottle with Bluecoat on it and a coat of arms. The cap is an easy-to-pull cork that did not make me do any sort of contortion in order to get it open. Thank you Bluecoat Gin! What's it smell like? One word: OhMyGod. This is far and away the best smelling gin I have ever put my nostrils to. The juniper and floral notes were amazing and did not take any time to get used to. Most gins require two whiffs: One...

Electric Martini Maker

Martini's are such a difficult concept that Waring thought they would make it easier on all of us. Okay, so I know that the reason for having this is for Coolness Value and not for the idea that you actually need a machine to mix your martini's. The Waring Pro Electric Martini Maker can take your concoction and do the tedious work of mixing it by either stirring or shaking, depending on which button you press. Remember kids, stir gin, shake vodka. The on light even has a green olive on it. But what if I want a twist? Waring Pro WM007 Professional Electric Martini Maker - US$99.99 via Treehugger (Who says you need to buy carbon credits for owning this one)